This easy sea salt caramel sauce is made with just four ingredients, with one sauce pan, and doesn’t require a candy thermometer.
I use to buy store-bought caramel sauce until I discovered how easy it is to make your own.
I have tried many different recipes over the years, but found it could be tricky to get the color of the caramel just right. Then I found this recipe by Sally’s Baking Addiction and I never went back. The method she uses is genius. The recipe is unique in that you melt the sugar into a liquid before adding the additional ingredients. As the sugar melts, it deepens into that signature caramel color that we all love.
I’m telling you, it’s genius.
4 Ingredient Homemade Sea Salt Caramel Sauce [Easy One Pot, No Candy Thermometer needed]:
Place the sugar in a heavy sauce pan. Melt the sugar over medium to medium-high heat. Once the sugar begins to melt, you will need to stir constantly with a heat proof spoon to avoid burning.
Once you begin stirring, the sugar will clump up, but just keep stirring until all of the sugar and sugar clumps have dissolved. The picture below shows the clumps of sugar still in the melted sugar. See that beautiful caramel color? That is what you are looking for. If it seems to be getting too dark, turn the heat down.
See? No more clumps.
Now add the room temperature butter one tablespoon at a time and whisk until it is fully incorporated. If the butter separates from the mixture, briefly remove from the heat and keep whisking.
It will look like this once all the butter has been stirred in.
Next, slowly and carefully add the room temperature heavy cream, stirring constantly. Be very careful as it will bubble up and splatter a bit at this point.
Next comes my favorite part: the sea salt. Remove the caramel from the heat and stir in the sea salt. If you notice any remaining sugar clumps you can pour the caramel through a fine mesh sieve.
Now that you have his fantastic sea salt caramel sauce, what are you going to do with it. I love to pour it over these Blondies or Make A Chocolate Chip Cookie Sundae.
4 Ingredient Homemade Sea Salt Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoon butter room temperature
- ½ cup heavy cream room temperature
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Add the sugar to a heavy sauce pan.
- Turn the heat to medium.
- When the sugar starts to melt (takes around 5-10 minutes), begin stirring constantly to prevent burning.
- The sugar will clump but just keep stirring until all of the sugar and clumps have melted. If the color darkens too much or too quickly then turn down the heat.
- Whisk in the room temperature butter, one tablespoon at a time until fully incorporated.
- Add the room temperature heavy cream (be very careful as the caramel may bubble and splatter at this point).
- Once the cream is fully incorporated, stir in the sea salt. Store in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Leave a Reply