An Italian coffee-based dessert that is translated to “drowned”. There are various ways to make it, some with liqueur, others with a creamy dessert sauce. For this recipe, I went with an easy Homemade Sea Salt Caramel Sauce that is to die for.
I made affogato for the first time a couple of years ago for New Years Eve. I needed something that was delicious, gluten-free (for a friend), and caffeinated. This ticked all of the boxes and was a hit.
It also makes the perfect treat on a chilly winter night and may just be the easiest dessert you have ever made.
Add vanilla custard, gelato, or ice cream to a coffee mug. Vanilla custard is my favorite but use whatever you have.
Next, add the caramel sauce. For my homemade sea salt caramel sauce click HERE.
Then pour freshly brewed coffee over the top.
I told you this was incredibly easy.
All I need now is a fireplace and a good book.
- Freshly brewed coffee
- Vanilla Frozen Custard, Gelato, or ice cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoon butter room temperature
- ½ cup heavy cream room temperature
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Make the Homemade Caramel Sauce
- Add the sugar to a heavy sauce pain.
- Turn the heat to just above medium and allow the sugar to begin to melt. This may take 10+ minutes. Watch carefully as it will burn easily.
- When the sugar starts to melt, begin stirring constantly to prevent burning.
- The sugar will clump up but just keep stirring until all of the sugar and clumps have melted. If the color darkens too much or too quickly then turn down the heat. If any sugar clumps refuse to dissolve then continue to the next step and they can be removed later.
- Whisk in the room temperature butter, one tablespoon at a time until fully incorporated.
- Add the room temperature heavy cream (be very careful as the caramel may bubble and splatter at this point) and stir until the cream is fully incorporated.
- Remove from the heat and then stir in the sea salt.
- If any sugar clumps remain you can pour the sauce through a fine mesh sieve to remove the sugar clumps. Careful as it is VERY hot.
Assemble the Affogato
- In a coffee mug, add several scoops of vanilla custard or ice cream.
- Top with caramel sauce and then slowly add the coffee.
Leave a Reply