These bacon wrapped peppadew peppers are stuffed with a creamy cream cheese, wrapped with bacon and then baked to perfection.
If you have never had a peppadew pepper you are missing out. These things are like candy. Super sweet with a mild head. So good.
I was first introduced to these stuffed peppadews at a local steakhouse. My best friend then recreated them and now brings them to our numerous celebrations.
They are always a hit.
For the upcoming Super Bowl, I am pulling out all of my favorite appetizer recipes and this one definitely tops the list.
Aren’t these peppadews the perfect shade of Chiefs red? Just saying.
Peppadews can be a little tricky to find, so plan ahead. They are frequently found on the olive bars at local grocers, in jars in the olive/pepper aisle, or can be bought online (affiliate link to follow) by clicking HERE.
How to make bacon wrapped peppadew peppers
Stuff the peppadew peppers with cream cheese
First, fill each peppadew peppers with softened cream cheese.
Wrap each peppadew with bacon
Cut each bacon slices in half (approximately 5 inch strips) and wrap around the peppadews. Secure with a toothpick.
Bake the peppadew peppers
Line them up on a baking pan (with sides to prevent the grease from running) and bake them at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, then flip them over and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the bacon is crispy and browned on each side.
How to make a balsamic reduction sauce
While the peppadews bake, make the balsamic reduction.
Add the balsamic vinegar to a small heavy sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Simmer 12-15 minutes until it thickens and the liquid is reduced by half. The longer you simmer, the thicker the reduction will be.
Caution: this burns easily so keep it to a simmer and watch is carefully.
Finish the bacon wrapped peppadew peppers with a balsamic reduction drizzle
After the bacon has crisped up in the oven, remove the peppadews and drizzle with the balsamic reduction.
Bacon Wrapped Peppadew Pepper with Cream Cheese and Balsamic Reduction
- tooth picks
- 24-30 peppadew peppers
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 package apple wood smoked bacon
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar (make about 1/2 cup balsamic reduction)
Assemble the peppedew peppers
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Fill each peppadew pepper with approximately 1/2 tsp of softened cream cheese (more if you prefer).
- Cut the bacon slices in half (into approximately 5 inch strips)
- Wrap the bacon around the cream cheese stuffed peppadew pepper. Secure the bacon with a toothpick.
- Line the bacon wrapped peppadews up on a baking pan (with sides to prevent the grease from running).
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, then flip each pepper over and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the bacon is crispy and browned.
Make the balsamic reduction
- While the peppers bake, add the balsamic vinegar to a small heavy sauce pan and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer 12-15 minutes until it thickens and the liquid reduces by half.
- The longer you simmer, the thicker the reduction will be. Caution: the balsamic vinegar can easily burn or become too thick so keep the simmer low and watch it carefully.
- Drizzle the balsamic reduction over the peppadews and serve warm.