Spring is almost here and I can not wait!
I always anticipate and embrace every upcoming season, but after an exceptionally gloomy and wet Missouri Winter, I am even more happy to hear those chirping birds!
Spring around my house means getting out of the house to enjoy the the warmer weather and sunshine, getting started on projects that were put on hold over the winter, and begin working in the yard and garden.
Once Valentines Day arrives, there is always one thing that tops my craving list…BERRIES!
We have a small strawberry patch in the yard that has produced many berries over the years. The patch needed replanting, so last year so I pulled out all of the spent plants and planted new. This second-year crop should bring a nice bounty of juicy strawberries this spring and summer.
This morning my daughter decided she needed a little something extra special to put on her breakfast bagel.
Mom’s special cream cheese.
Yup, that’s my girl!
As much as I love cream cheese, I don’t love the extra calories and fat that comes with it. Thank goodness there’s another option available to all of you cream cheese lovers out there…Greek Cream Cheese.
This stuff is seriously the best thing ever. It tastes just like the real thing with 1/2 the fat and 4 times the protein.
Um, yes please.
Want to know more?
Light and Fluffy Strawberry cream cheese
Begin by making a homemade strawberry jam. I had these fantastic strawberries left over from making chocolate covered berries, so I put them to good use. The recipe for chocolate covered strawberries is coming soon so check back!
Add the strawberries, honey, water, sugar, vanilla, and salt to a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer until the berries are very tender, then mash with a fork.
Turn the heat to low and add the Greek cream cheese. Allow the Greek cream cheese to soften and then stir until well incorporated and smooth, about 2-3 minutes. If the Greek cream cheese is not allowed to warm properly, then it may become lumpy. If you see cream cheese lumps just continue to warm and stir until you are left with a jammy, creamy schmear. Serve on a whole grain toast or bagel or you can even use as a dip for your favorite berries.
Light Strawberry Cream Cheese
- 1 cup strawberries diced small
- 1.5 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 oz Greek cream cheese cubed
- Add the strawberries, honey, water, sugar, vanilla, and salt to a small saucepan.
- Simmer over medium low heat until the berries are very tender.
- Mash the berries with a fork.
- Turn the heat to low and add the Greek cream cheese.
- Allow the Greek cream cheese to warm and soften, then stir until well incorporated and smooth (about 2-3 minutes). If you see any cream cheese lumps then continue to warm and stir until you have a smooth and creamy schmear.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.