If you are looking for that one go-to cake recipe that is as easy as it is delicious then this vanilla bean cake with vanilla bean and white chocolate cream frosting is the cake for you!
There is a local bakery that has the most amazing Italian Cream Cupcakes. Like dream about them for two weeks kind of amazing.
So when I set out to make this cake, I wanted it to be reminiscent of that Italian Cream Cupcake.
Without the coconut.
I know, what’s an Italian Cream Cake without coconut?
However, coconut is not a fave in my household sooooo…
However, I’m glad I left it out because after the hubby took one bite of this cake he announced “best cake ever”!
He was not happy when I took half the cake to work the next day.
This post was created in partnership with FITNCLEAN Vanilla. All opinions are my own and I only endorse products that I know and love.
Vanilla Bean Cake
So what makes this cake special?
It is everything a cake should be: moist, tender, flavorful, perfectly sweet, and most importantly EASY.
It starts with REALLY good vanilla extract and REALLY good vanilla beans. If you have never made homemade vanilla extract, now is the time. It has superior flavor for a fraction of the cost. My HOMEMADE VANILLA EXTRACT GUIDE will take you step by step through the steps to make perfect, easy homemade vanilla extract.
Next, add in vanilla pudding mix and you have a triple threat of vanilla flavor. That’s right: vanilla bean, vanilla extract, AND vanilla pudding mix.
I mean can you go wrong with anything that has vanilla bean in it? Vanilla bean equals guaranteed yumminess in my book.
And I just love those little specks of vanilla bean throughout the cake and frosting.
Easy, No-fail Cake Recipe.
This recipe is virtually fail proof which is just one the reasons it’s my go-to recipe.
IT. IS. SO. EASY!!!
No alternating wet and dry ingredients.
No whipping of egg whites.
You just dump everything in a bowl, mix, and bake.
This recipe begins with a cake mix that is dressed up with the addition of sour cream, pudding mix, and a few other pantry ingredients.
You first saw a variation of this recipe in my Chocolate Cherry Chunk Cake and Holiday Celebration Cakes that I had adapted from a special Christmas Edition Cookbook of Southern Living (best cookbook ever!).
By changing out different cake and pudding mixes, you can create a flavor to suit your needs.
I’ve yet to find a combination that I didn’t like.
Have you tried the “doctored up cake mix” trick yet?
If so, let me know what your favorite combinations are!
Note: This vanilla bean cake browns up beautifully on the outside during the bake so don’t be concerned when the outside seems to brown early in the bake. You will have a beautiful golden brown crust with an incredible moist, light vanilla cake on the inside.
Vanilla Bean and White Chocolate Frosting
As for the frosting, it is once again a variation of one of my favorite recipes, a vanilla cream frosting.
However, this time it was made a little extra special with the addition of vanilla bean and white chocolate.
It is also amazing slathered on a fudge brownie.
FITNCLEAN Vanilla Beans
For those of you that have been following along lately, you know I’m obsessed with these vanilla beans (affiliate links to follow) by FITNCLEAN Vanilla.
I love these vanilla beans because they are moist, fragrant, non-GMO, Gluten-free, and free of chemical pesticides and fungicides.
You can order by quantity and type (CLICK BELOW FOR PURCHASE OPTIONS):
FITNCLEAN Vanilla also has wholesale and bulk purchase options available directly on their website with free shipping at:
I have used both the Grade A Madagascar and Tahitian vanilla beans as well as their extract grade beans. They were all exceptional.
For this recipe I used Grade A Tahitian vanilla beans but the Madagascar vanilla beans would be fantastic as well.
Vanilla Bean Cream Cake With Vanilla Bean and White Chocolate Cream Frosting
Vanilla Bean Cake Batter
- 1 16.25 oz box white cake mix
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 3.4 oz box instant vanilla pudding
- 4 eggs large
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup water
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla bean seeds
Vanilla Bean and White Chocolate Cream Frosting
- 2 sticks salted butter softened
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla bean seeds
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 ½ cup powdered sugar
- Additional white chocolate chips for garnishing (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Grease 2 9-inch nonstick round pans.
Make the cakes
- Add all cake batter ingredients to a large bowl.
- Mix with a hand held electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute then on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two greased cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
- Cool completely then remove cakes from the pan by inverting onto another plate.
Make the frosting
- In a small microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate chips and the cream.
- Microwave on high for about 1 minute or until the white chocolate chips just begin to melt.
- Stir vigorously until the white chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl add the softened butter and softened cream cheese.
- Cream with a hand held mixer until well combined.
- Add the vanilla extract and vanilla bean seeds. Mix well.
- Add the cooled white chocolate sauce to the cream cheese mixture and mix until just combined.
- Next, add the powdered sugar and mix on low speed until combined then medium speed until light and fluffy.
Assemble the cake (naked cake style)
- Place one cake layer on a serving platter.
- Top with ½ of the frosting.
- Place the second cake layer on top and then top with the remaining frosting.
- Garnish with additional white chocolate chips (optional).