This gourmet blackberry mozzarella grilled cheese sandwich has a unique twist with the addition of a balsamic blackberry sauce that adults and kids alike will love.
Do any of you have a picky eater in your home?
If so, then you understand the frustration of a parent that feels like they are constantly feeding their child the same thing. Day, after day, after day, after day…
I happen to have one and I’m constantly on the look out for new and interesting recipes she will actually try.
After several failed attempts, it was either pull my hair out in frustration or change tactics. So I sent her off with a iPad and a Pinterest account with instructions to fill a board with food that looks good to her and that she would try.
She didn’t “fill” the board with ideas but she did find one that looked interesting to her and it was somewhat shocking. It was a…
Blueberry and mozzarella grilled cheese?
I was skeptical to say the least but she was willing to try it, so I was definitely going to try it as well.
I had a pint of fresh blackberries in the refrigerator so I used those instead of the blueberries. The result was so amazing! It was absolutely delicious and the perfect twist on a classic grilled cheese for both kids and adults alike. The whole family enjoyed it and I hope you do as well!
This recipe was adapted from Tiaras and Tantrums.
Blackberry Mozzarella Grilled Cheese
Making the blackberry sauce
Add all of the ingredients for the blackberry sauce to a small sauce pan. Don’t let the addition of balsamic vinegar scare you away. You (or the kiddo) won’t even know it’s there. It really brings out the flavor of the berries so give it a try!
Heat over medium heat until the liquid begins to simmer. Turn down the heat slightly and continue to cook for an additional 2 minutes then lightly mash the blackberries with a fork. Continue simmering for an additional 3 minutes or until the sauces thickens slightly. Turn off the heat and let the sauce sit for about 5 minutes to continue thickening.
Grill the blackberry mozzarella grilled cheese sandwich
Place some of the shredded mozzarella on top of a slice of bread and then top with another slice of bread.
Heat a frying pan or grill pan over medium heat. Coat with butter. Toast the sandwich until each side is lightly toasted and the mozzarella is nice and melty. Open the sandwich and spoon in a few tablespoons of the blackberry sauce.
Blackberry and Mozzarella Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices of french bread or bread of choice
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- butter for greasing the pan
- 1/2 pint blackberries
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
Make the blackberry sauce
- Add all of the ingredients for the blackberry sauce to a small sauce pan.
- Heat over medium heat until the liquid begins to simmer.
- Turn the heat down slightly and continue to simmer for an additional 2 minutes.
- Lightly mash the blackberries with a fork.
- Continue simmering for an additional 3 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Turn off the heat and let the sauce sit for about 5 minutes to continue thickening.
Make the grilled cheese sandwiches
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Place 1/4 cup-1/2 cup (depending on size of your bread) shredded mozzarella on top of a slice of bread and then top with another slice of bread.
- Grease the skillet with butter.
- Grill the sandwich until each side is lightly toasted and the mozzarella is nice and melty. Remove from the pan.
- Open the sandwich and spoon in a few tablespoons of the blackberry sauce (you can do this step prior to grilling but it can get a bit messy).